Welcome to the Pathwanderer Rôle-Playing System!
Pathwanderer is two things. First of all, it is a free RPG. Completely, well, except the cost of downloading and printing the materials. Best thing is to do it at work, but I didn't tell you that...
A word of explanation. If by RPG you are thinking of computer games, such as Discworld Noir, Hexen or Heretic, then this is not what you've found here. This is something far more entertaining and engrossing.
Pathwanderer is an old style dice-and-character-sheet RPG. But it uses computer technology. For example, the rules and game units are available in PDF (for you to print out) and HTML (for viewing online) format. The character sheet uses Spreadsheet applications (Excel, Lotus 1-2-3 or Works) to work out a lot of your character's abilities. And for the future, I'm working on using Visual Basic and MS Access to create tools for GMs and players, to create characters, encounters, monsters, adventures and entire campaigns.
All the downloads are in Zip format. If you do not already have one, you will need to download a suitable Archive utility, such as WinZip. Freeware utilities, such as Power Archiver, are also available. Any of them will work with the zipped archives on this site.
Pathwanderer is analogous to Freeware software. You can copy it, distribute it etc., as long as you remember it is my invention, and the Terms and Conditions go with it.
This is the first release of Pathwanderer that I'm letting the search engines know about. It is, I suppose, a beta release. I've play-tested it, and it all seems to work. But at this stage, any use you put it to is also play-testing. That means that if you Email me back then with your comments and suggestions, you'll be listed in the credits.
I'm not expecting to make any money out of this - I'd rather it remained as it is and be fully mine than bought by some company and changed out of all recognition. But this doesn't mean anyone else can make money out of it instead, and any breach of copyright I find out about will be prosecuted to the full force of the law, and then the offender will be boiled in oil until they scream for mercy. Well, the first bit is true, anyway.
Pathwanderer is a Generic Rôle-Playing game. It is designed for use in any sort of milieux - futuristic, science fiction, pseudo-historical, fantasy, whatever. You need the Core Rules and a World Unit, which gives you the specifics for a particular adventuring world. At the moment, there is only one World Unit, Eireann and the Isle of the Mighty, which is based in the British Isles in the Dark Ages. You also need the Spreadsheet Character Sheet; this contains character sheets for European A4 paper and US 8"x11" paper, for Excel versions 4.0 onwards and Lotus 1-2-3 '97.
If you do not have any spreadsheet application (and most PCs come packaged with at least something like MS Works), then a simple printable PDF file is available for download here. Of course, using this means that you have to do all the calculations yourself, the old way.
|Core Rules||Eireann and the Isle of the Mighty||Spreadsheet Character Sheet||Blank Character Sheet|
Sign my Guestbook - View others' Comments
Terms and Conditions
Pathwanderer Rôle Playing System Concept © Karl Thornley and David Collins 2001. These materials are © Karl Thornley 2001. Free printing and copying for your own use is allowed. Pathwanderer uses a distribution concept similar to that of software available in Freeware form. All Pathwanderer materials are available for free download from http://pathwanderer.5u.com (Hereafter called the Pathwanderer Home Page). Notwithstanding the free downloading and printing allowed of Pathwanderer materials, the Pathwanderer Game and all materials associated with it and written by Karl Thornley remain his intellectual property. You may distribute Pathwanderer freely as long as the following conditions are met:
1. it is not sold for profit;
2. any Internet site or Bulletin Board or other electronic distribution method, or any machine or human readable medium by which Pathwanderer materials can be downloaded or distributed must clearly state these Conditions and the Intellectual Property notice above;
3. any Internet site or Bulletin Board or other electronic distribution method, or any machine or human readable medium by which Pathwanderer materials can be downloaded or distributed must include a copy of the Core Rules and the Spreadsheet Character Sheet in all formats in which it is available at that time;
4. any Internet site or Bulletin Board or other electronic distribution method, or any machine or human readable medium by which Pathwanderer materials can be downloaded or distributed must contain a link, or if not a Hypertext supported format, a reference, to the Pathwanderer Home Page, or to whatever URL the said page may have moved to;
5. these Conditions must be passed on to the downloader or recipient of the Pathwanderer materials.
The Pathwanderer Name and its Logo is Copyright (notwithstanding the permissions explicit above) © Karl Thornley 2001. Distribution in breach of these conditions will constitute a breach of Copyright and will be pursued to the maximum extent of the law.